Tuesday 28 June 2011

Aung San Suu Kyi Delivers Reith Lecture

Today Burma's President elect, Aung San Suu Kyi delivered the first of her two Reith Lectures.


Examining the themes of dissent and freedom, Suu Kyi will share the five-lecture series with former MI5 director general Eliza Manningham-Buller, whose talks will mark the 10th anniversary of the 11 September 2001 attacks on America.

Before being released by Burma's military government in November, Suu Kyi had spent 15 of the last 21 years under house arrest in Rangoon, after her League for Democracy won a landslide victory in the 1990 election.

She said: "To be speaking to you through the BBC has a very special meaning for me. It means that once again I am officially a free person. When I was officially 'unfree', that is to say when I was under house arrest, it was the BBC that spoke to me – I listened."

You can listen to the lecture here......



DOWNLOAD

Read about how the Beeb managed to arrange and record the lectures and the part played by Maggie Philbin HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment